There are many talented contemporary music artists working in Nigeria today that are vibrant, varied genre that has recently attracted attention on a global scale. Traditional African rhythms, as well as Western musical genres including hip hop, R&B, and pop, have a significant impact on Nigeria’s music landscape.
Afrobeats, which first appeared in the late 2000s and has since grown to be a dominant force in Nigerian music, is one of the most well-liked genres of modern Nigerian music. Afrobeats is distinguished by the blending of African rhythms with pop and hip-hop elements from the West. Wizkid, Davido, Burna Boy, and Tiwa Savage are a few of the most well-known Afrobeats musicians.
There are many talented contemporary music artists from Nigeria today;
- Yinka Shonibare – Yinka Shonibare is a British-Nigerian artist who explores themes of identity, race, and colonialism through his sculptures, installations, and paintings.
- Jelili Atiku – Jelili Atiku is a performance artist whose work addresses social, political, and environmental issues in Nigeria and beyond.
- Nnenna Okore – Nnenna Okore is a sculptor who creates works from natural materials like burlap, rope, and paper. Her works explore themes of memory, identity, and cultural heritage.
- Emeka Ogboh – Emeka Ogboh is a sound artist who creates installations that explore the sonic landscapes of cities and cultures. His work often focuses on the sounds of Lagos, Nigeria.
- Peju Layiwola – Peju Layiwola is a multidisciplinary artist who works in painting, sculpture, installation, and performance. Her work often explores themes of feminism, Yoruba mythology, and African cultural heritage.
- Jide Alakija – Jide Alakija is a photographer who has gained international recognition for his portraits and documentary work. His photographs often explore the complexities of contemporary Nigerian society.
- Gerald Chukwuma – Gerald Chukwuma is a mixed media artist who creates intricate, three-dimensional works that explore themes of memory, identity, and social commentary.
These artists, along with the ones previously mentioned, represent just a small fraction of the talented and diverse contemporary art scene in Nigeria.
In other hand, let’s see more of Nigerian contemporary hiphop musicians.
Nigeria has a rich and diverse music scene, with many talented hiphop musicians creating music that reflects the country’s cultural heritage and contemporary global influences. Here are some of the most popular Nigerian contemporary musicians:
- Burna Boy – Burna Boy is a singer and songwriter whose music blends afrobeats, reggae, and dancehall. He has gained international recognition for his socially conscious lyrics and infectious beats.
- Wizkid – Wizkid is a singer and songwriter who has become one of Nigeria’s biggest musical exports. He creates music that blends afrobeats, R&B, and hip-hop, and his collaborations with international artists like Drake and Beyoncé have helped to bring Nigerian music to a global audience.
- Davido – Davido is a singer, songwriter, and producer who has been a major force in the Nigerian music scene for over a decade. His music blends afrobeats, hip-hop, and pop, and his high-energy performances are known for getting audiences dancing.
- Tiwa Savage – Tiwa Savage is a singer, songwriter, and actress who is known for her powerful vocals and dynamic stage presence. Her music blends afrobeats, R&B, and pop, and she has collaborated with international artists like Beyoncé and Coldplay.
- Niniola – Niniola is a singer and songwriter who creates music that blends afrobeats, house, and pop. Her powerful voice and infectious beats have made her one of Nigeria’s most popular female artists.
- Mr Eazi – Mr Eazi is a singer, songwriter, and entrepreneur who has gained international recognition for his afrobeats-infused music. His music blends elements of highlife, hip-hop, and R&B, and he has collaborated with artists like J Balvin and Major Lazer.
- Adekunle Gold – Adekunle Gold is a singer, songwriter, and graphic designer who creates music that blends highlife, afrobeats, and pop. His smooth vocals and catchy melodies have made him one of Nigeria’s most popular contemporary musicians.
- Flavour N’abania: Flavour is a singer, songwriter, and who creates music that blends highlife. His smooth vocals and catchy melodies have made him one of Nigeria’s most popular contemporary musicians. etc.
These are just a few of the many talented hiphop contemporary musicians creating music in Nigeria today.
Leave a Reply